Monday, July 27, 2009

Mt. Talapia...I mean Tamalpais.

hello hello!

This weekend C and I took a "staycation" and did a day-trip up to Marin to hike in Mt. Tamalpais park. It was gorgeous! We brought a nice picnic lunch in our backpack of sourdough bread, cheese, nectarines and a couple of those fiber muffins. I didn't do any cooking this weekend (hence the "staycation") so there aren't any recipes to post. We did check out some new restaurants in the city which were awesome. We went to this great little Italian place in Russian Hill on Friday night. I was very pleased to hear the waitress recommend the exact same meal/wine combo I ordered to the table next to us. I guess I'm getting better at my wine pairings! We also checked out this new French/Japanese fusion place called Swell. The food was AMAZING. We both agreed we had never had such inventive cuisine in our lives. The only catch is that the food is very light so don't go there after a day of hiking looking for a heavy carb-laden meal.

Here are a few photos from our hike:

Photobucket
We happened upon a Greek-style amphitheather. They actually do performances of plays here in the summer...not sure what is playing this season!

Photobucket
A clearing with a giant rock...

Photobucket
There were lots of beautiful redwood trees.

Photobucket
The trail.

Photobucket
The trail ran right along a creek which continued to build up and eventually there were bridges and waterfalls etc. It was amazing!

Photobucket
Devil-Deer.

Photobucket
View from the trail...

Photobucket
A recently fallen redwood...straight into the creek.

Photobucket

After the hike we decided to drive to the top of the mountain. It was quite a drive considering I hadn't driven in months...I almost had a heart attack when a bicyclist passed me on the right flying down the hill at over 30mph.

Photobucket
We were way above the fog-line!

Photobucket
Woo!

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful scenery -- looks very peaceful and not many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN, KATIE. FORD EVERY STREAM.

    ReplyDelete